Sunday, August 7, 2011


I enjoy the music very much. I enjoy old Bangla music, Rabindra sangeet, Nazrul sangeet and variety of songs. But undoubtedly one type of song I enjoy very much; Qawwali and when it is from Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, one of the greatest musician of the history was born in 1948 in Pakistan near Faisalabad. His family was involved with Qawwali with generations. He possessed a six octate vocal range and could perform at a high level of intensity for hours. He is considered the only songster of this kind.
How I fist knew about Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan? When I was in University, once I heard his music "Allah hu Allah hu" in stadium market. In my first listening I could not forget some of the lyrics, the ups and downs of the voice, the beat and the sargam and the reality is still I can feel the song inside me.
Since then I started to collect the Qawwali of Nusrat Fateh Ali. My favorite way of listening the qawwialis---
-Sit on a sofa chair
-Put the back on the sofa and be relaxed
-Close the eyes, don't think what's happening around
-Consider music is coming from another world
Some favorites..
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was taken ill with kidney and liver failure on August 11, 1997 in London while on the way to Los Angels in order to receive a kidney transplant. He died of a sudden cardiac arrest on Saturday, August 16, 1997, aged 48.

No comments: