Monday, July 18, 2011

Highway 97C

Last week we visited Okanagan area mainly Kelowna and Penticton. This was first time we are visiting those areas. Like many others I would say Okanagan valley is wonderful. Rather saying about Okanagan, today I would say about highway 97C, one of the highway you may use to go to Kelowna.
Highway 97C, which is 220 km in total length, was constructed as the third phase of the Coquihalla Highway Project. The section of Highway 97C east of Merritt is mostly freeway, with a speed limit of 110 km/h and between 4 and 6 lanes, and has very few exits as you have few places to go from this highway. The highway is about 2000m height from sea level. So you can imagine you are driving above the mountain with 110km speed.


It was a pleasant experience while we were driving towards Kelowna along this highway. You see nice greens around you, see different picks blackish blue ahead. The clouds are touching the mountain picks leaving a big white tail behind. If you open the window, you will feel the pleasant cool air in this month. You may feel the height sometimes also in the ear when it needs to release the pressure. When you are at the very left lane, you may see the sharp edge close to you. If you are not courageous enough, don't look towards the bottom. You may see tall trees few thousand feet below. But you can not stop seeing around, it is so beautiful.

While we returning it was a complete different experience on this highway.
It was from Penticton, we were driving back to Vancouver. Initially it was at the side of Okanagan lake, the sun was not very bright. It was cloudy. But we could feel the beauty of the lake by heart. It was wonderful and probably you can not expect more in this earth. I was speechless, so beautiful the lake is. But when we really started to pass the mountains after the lake, then the
day started to get dark. I would say it was not for a long time, rather it was all in a sudden. Everything became dark and the rain started. It was a so heavy rain that suddenly I could hardly see any thing. I was driving at a speed of 110km and I reduced it down to 50km and with the highest speed of wiper, even I could not see the clearly. I was just looking at the emergency light of the car ahead of me and nothing else. The wiper was moving so fast that I could hear the harsh machine noise inside. My kids were sleeping inside the car, thanks God, they did not see that rain. I was just praying the situation will get better. You can imagine that I was driving in a highway at that speed no one was trying to pass me.
We spent about one hour like this till we reach a small town Merit.


No comments: